Cooking rice is not an easy-breezy task to do. Therefore, we got the best Japanese rice cooker reviews for you today.
You will have to spend a little time on the processing and heating steps that are unwanted. There could be many instances that you go through wishing to have something that would do the job for you and this is what the rice cooker does.
Now you will not have to stand before the appliance to cook your rice because there are machines that will do that for you.
And if it motivates you to go and grab one, I have thought to highlight the perfect Japanese rice cookers and review them. This will help you out more in choosing one of them.
Just in case if you’re in a hurry….
Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5.5 Cups
- Removable parts made it easier to clean.
- Great for normal use.
- Easy to use.
- Features retractable cord.
Why Should you have the perfect Cooker in your kitchen?
- Even cooking: One of the reasons to own the rice cooker is that it helps to cook the rice or any other food evenly. You don’t even need to stand in front of the machine and make that effort to stir it since the machine does all the job itself.
- No more prep: Another reason to own it will be helping you to cut off the grocery bills with this little guy. You won’t need any preparation work and keeps you save some bucks for its limited servings.
- Multi-functional: Many models come with multi-functional features that do not only act as rice cookers but also more than that. Some of the cookers are able to do the job of other cooking methods and some are capable of cooking different types of food differently.
My Top 7 Pick Best Japanese Rice Cooker
NP-HCC10XH has been termed as the technologically advanced machine from the brand Zojirushi. Coming from all the way through Japan, this model has got some great qualities that made it on the top list.
Although the size varies from the need for a large family to personal need, 1 liter is basically considered as the common size of a rice cooker. So for normal use, this is something that you must have in your kitchen.
To talk about the skills, this model boasts to have the latest heating technology that is known as an integrated inducing heating element. It helps to cook the rice evenly and prevent it from getting burnt.
To go with the looks, this rice cooker indeed knows how to entice you well with its modern design. With its stainless steel, you will get the dude in dark gray. Moreover, there’s an LED control panel that lights up with orange color and it helps to make the cooker look chicer. Besides the look, it comes with a clear coated surface so it can avoid sticky dust.
However, it stars various ways to use the unit including GABA brown rice mode, germinated brown rice mode. It also has to keep warm delayed timer modes with auto shut off feature.
And maintenance-wise, the NP-HCC10XH has also given the great service that you expect it to have. This is not only easy to use but has also proved itself enough to be easy to clean. You can give all the credit to the design and materials that have been used in this cooker.
- Enough capacity for normal use.
- Multiple cooking modes.
- Keep warm delayed timer modes
- Auto-shutoff modes.
- Non-stick coatings to avoid sticky dust.
- Easy to use, easy to clean.
- Signal tone to notify you.
- Waterproof LED panel.
- The cord is not retractable.
- Fan sound could be annoying.
You can guess from the name of the brand that how this model is going to perform for cooking your food impeccably.
You also can have an NS-TSC10 model, that proves to be a great rice cooker & considering everything.
Not different than its other mates, because you will be getting about 1-liter capacity in it to cook some good food for you. with its 5.5 cups, you can serve a mini family a great meal.
It is already known that when the brand is Zojirushi, it will definitely have Fuzzy logic technology that works behind it to shows its performance. And you can have the idea already that this technology acts as a thumbs up for the cooker.
This model has a bit brownish steel color that makes it look really good-looking. The exterior is clear coated and the interior is Teflon. However, just like most of the models, it too owns an LED panel that has many other options to use for cooking. So, design-wise, the NS-TSC10 indeed is a top-notch cooker.
Zojirushi NS-TSC10 comes with auto keep warm and extended keep warm modes that can be used to keep your food warm with the preset settings. It also features a reheating cycle so it can work accordingly to heat the food again and avoid trashing it. With these modes, you will get several other settings that include porridge, cake, steam, mixed, sushi and brown or white rice. And this shows you that it can be used to cook other foods as well and does not limit itself to rice item only.
This is no different than other models, as the brand has used similar materials and design, so you will find it way easier to clean the unit. The inner lid comes removable so you can clean it separately and serve healthy and clean foods to yourself and of course your family.
Check my full review on Zojirushi NS-TSC10.
- Removable parts made it easier to clean.
- Great for normal use.
- Easy to use.
- Features retractable cord.
- Comes with a variety of modes.
- The cooker might slide a bit.
This is yet another cooker from the same brand that unquestionably has some similar features as the previous one, yet it still is different.
Besides the similar traits, it consists of different traits as well that makes it perform differently, looks different and this is called the best Asian rice cooker.
Just like NP-HCC10XH, the model NS-ZCC10 also features 1-liter capacity that houses the rice pretty well to cook it cordially.
You might not know how this simple rice cooker can do wonders in cooking the rice throughout the process. It’s because the brand has incorporated Neuro Fuzzy logic technology that is both advanced and amazing at the same time, so you can serve your family a well-cooked rice bowl in simple steps.
NS-ZCC10 appears as sophisticated in simplicity with its wonderful white color. There’s an LED panel in the front that adds more convenience in using the tool. You will also get a non-stick spherical pan that lets the rice to be cooked evenly.
This is how it differs from the previous model of Zojirushi. In this unit, you can explore more options including reheat cycles more, auto keep warm and extended keep warm modes.
There is also an LED clock and timer as well as other settings such as quick cooking, rinse-free, semi-brown, brown, sweet, porridge, mixed and regular or sushi with softer or harder options.
But the sad part is that it doesn’t tell you the amount of time that could take in cooking the rice till there are ten minutes left. So lack of such mode can disappoint you.
The way the model has been built, it can be said that you will find it quite easy to use and maintain. The model has been coated with non-stick materials so you can be ensured that it won’t stick dust.
- Can cook the rice evenly.
- Ideal dimensions for normal use.
- Possesses multi-functional modes.
- Easy to use.
- Comes with retractable cord.
- Timer and Auto shut off options.
- The signal sings songs to you.
- You will not understand the time that would take to cook the rice until there are 10 minutes left.
- You might not like the twinkle twinkle little star song that it sings for the signal.
It is somewhat easy to live alone and feast a good meal with well-cooked food. And NP-GBC05-XT works as a good motivation from Zojirushi since it seems to guarantee you so.
With 0.54 liter or you can say with three cups of rice, the NP-GBC05-XT is able to give you a one-time fine meal.
Combining with Induction Heating technology, the cooker will heat the rice evenly so that it can give you the result you wish for.
The design of this model is somewhat similar to many of its other friends so it needs no new explanation about how it looks like. The cooker has the signature brownish clear coated stainless exterior and there is a control panel colored in orange. As for the inner lid, yes it comes detachable to present you extra convenience.
Using about 700-watt power, the cooker can be used in various ways to shows its multifunctional feature. The settings come with quick cooking, GABA brown, brown, rinse-free, porridge, sushi, and white or mixed options.
Since it features detachable inner lid, cleaning the unit has become more trouble-free.
- Food is cooked perfectly.
- Strong and well built.
- The model is easy to clean.
- Multifunctional settings.
- Parts are removable for easy cleaning.
- Smaller footprint.
- Annoying noise.
- The battery is not durable.
This white guy is another good rice cooker that has grabbed a lot of foodie’s love for its superior performance with its Chef-like cooking. JBV-A10U-W is such a model that Tiger Corporation has designed only to serve good food, not bad food.
the model happens to serve about 5.5 cups of rice that you can call a pretty good amount to serve a mini family. Thus, you can mull overtaking the guy as it can be called as a great fellow for cooking.
The color has already been mentioned as I have called it a white guy. However, to talk about its design, well it looks really pretty in the color it comes in. Albeit there is no LED display on the panel yet you will still get some functions that work well with its simplicity.
There is a function named ‘tacook’ for Syncro cooking that works to heat the rice and the main dish at the same time. If you have a look at their tagline: One push multiple operations, you will understand why they have kept the design so simple. However, there are 3 other settings for cooking that comes with the unit, that are Slow cooking, Brown rice and Plain rice.
It is very easy to maintain the cooker as you will not be needing to take much effort to clean it up. The white guy never fades and it seems to ensure you that it will not stay dirty after you clean it.
- The nonstick inner lets you clean it easily.
- Multiple menu settings.
- The Cooking plate is BPA free.
- The inner steam cap is removable.
- Very reasonable.
- Keeps the rice fresh and well cooked.
- There is no LED display.
- There is not an advanced setting.
- No songs for the signal.
Zojirushi has got another good rice cooker in its bag and the model is NP-NVC10. So if you dream of having a perfectly cooked food, then you can take this model into account.
With its 1-liter capacity, this NP-NVC10 model is able to cook a perfect amount of rice so that it can serve a family in meal-time.
With a touch of brownish tone, the model highlights orangish display that features multiple functions to use the dude. However, the inner pot is platinum and nonstick whereas the exterior is clear coated. You will get a removable inner lid as well. The best thing about the unit is that it comes with a lot of safety features such as, an inner lid filter, a pressure control valve, an inner lid valve, a pressure control valve and a pressure indicator that helps in locking the lid.
NP-NVC10 seems to select one of the three settings of pressure automatically and uses its technology for adjusting the time of cooking the rice. And the result? Well, you can see yourself how it gives perfectly well-cooked food. However, the model appears to combine induction heating with pressure cooking in multiple settings.
With its clock and timer modes, you can try out different uses of the cooker. Besides, it also features a microchip that lets it remember the last set of use so that it can give the same outcome every time.
Since the brand has used wise materials to build the model up, thus you will find it very easy to clean it.
- Comes with multiple safety features.
- Owns a lot of modes and functions.
- Easy to clean and use.
- Elegant design.
- Cooks the rice well and even.
- Might not cook some foods properly.
- The front panel is not backlit.
- Manual needs to be read for first use.
The bigger the capacity is, the more rice a cooker can cook for a family. And if you think you have a big family, then this ARC-914SBD model by Aroma Housewares certainly needs to be highlighted.
The ARC-914SBD model works on cooking for about 5 to 8 cups of several types of rice contentedly. However, you will still need to measure the amount before pouring them into the machine so that you can avoid overflowing.
Coming in gray with black edges, the model happens to look elegant and simple. And its stainless steel exterior matches greatly with other equipment as well that are there in your kitchen.
Aroma Housewares have given a good amount of options to make your cooking moment easier. This rice cooker has a preset control panel owning brown rice and white rice modes with auto keep-warm function.
It also features other settings like saving time with the flash rice mode that slashes half of the cooking time. There is also a 15-hour delay timer so that you can have a flexible supper plan.
Just as it is easy to use the whole cooker, it is also easy to clean it the same way. The model comes with removable parts and this is what makes it more stress-free for you to take every part one after one and clean them separately.
- It is easy to use.
- Very easy to clean for its removable parts.
- Offers uniform cooking.
- Contains a lot of modes for cooking.
- Cooks rice for a big family.
- It can also steam food other than rice.
- The lid remains closed tightly.
- 15-hour delay timer.
- The loud beep is not really cool.
- Does not come with a retractable cord.
- Lacks clock-based timer.
Zojirushi is a fantastic cooker and warmer combination. It is made of stainless-steel material and works in the induction heating process. This model is designed with multiple cooking settings, an LED control panel and good wattage power.
This electric rice cooker is available in two sizes, and you can pick a 5.5 cup model or 10 cup model as per your need. And the total capacity is 1 liter.
Zojirushi looks pretty beautiful with the brown and glossy stainless-steel surface. There has a colored LED display with a clock and timer that help to control this device.
This cooker comes with 9.1 x 9.1 x 9.1 inches dimension and 14.87 pounds weight. The inside of this cooker is designed with a non-stick feature so that you can easily make white, mixed sushi and sweet rice.
Moreover, it is an innovative and inspired design from the Zojirushi brand that deals with all your rice cooking requirements.
NWC10XB offers to cook verities of sweet rice, porridge, GABA within a quick time. It has a special Umami setting that increases the tie for soaking and streaming.
Not only that, NP-NVC10 has a unique stream that reduces the setting. This setting allows reducing stream 50% more efficiently.
This rice cooker is easy to maintain and access. It is recommended to clean after each use and maintain the using rules to protect it from damage.
- It is available in 5.5 cups to 10 cups
- Gorgeous brown color stainless-steel finish
- Combination of warmer and cooker
- Multiple cooking setting and LED display
- The user manual is required for the beginners
- Cooking brown rice may take a lot of time.
- The customer service is not so active.
Recipes Section for you!
Here is a Guide How you can make Japanese Shushi Rice At home. Click Here!
If want to make Japanese rice balls. Here is the guide! Click Here!
And if you wanna make Japanese fried rice. We also cover that recipe for you. Click here!
Things should be considered Before Buying
There are usually 2 styles of cooking the rice with rice cookers. The styles are-
- Heat Induction: this is a kind of system where the pan of cooking heats up substantially. The rice cooker generates an electromagnetic current that leads to the cooking pan heat to start building up after passing through the metal. Making the rice in this method requires a lot of heat and this is what this system offers to give a uniform process to cook the rice. After all, there’s a reason you are reading this review & cooking code is an integral part of it.
- Thermal Convection: you will get most of the rice cookers on the market that appear to cook rice in this method. However, in the thermal convection system, the pan of cooking doesn’t heat itself up. The warm air outside the pan passes all over the machine via the system and hence it gets to cook the rice. There a sensing device of thermal found in such models that knows when the food is cooked completely and switches the unit to warming mode automatically.
There are many foodies out there who wish to have more modes and controls in the process of cooking rice. For this, you will be required to get a cooker that offers multifunctional modes.
Such modes help you to do more than just cooking the white rice. With these, you will be able to use different settings for porridge, sushi, brown rice as well as other kinds of rice differently that helps in cooking several types of rice. There are also many models available that come with built-in timers for added convenience.
Power Cords Picks
If you prefer to grab white cookers, I would recommend you to have the model that comes with a retractable or detachable power cord. Let me explain why. It is because, with this trait, you will be able to keep the cooker anywhere for storage easily.
There are many people that appear to forget this trait and have been found regretting it later. So, if you don’t wish to regret, list it up in your requirements and we tried to keep that evident in my review too in case if you didn’t notice.
I won’t be talking about the looks of the cooker since there are many more factors that need to be looked on. However, if you plan to grab a rice cooker, make sure there are handles to protect you from hot surfaces and a transparent glass top to make you watch the cooking process.
Albeit it’s not like you will discount the looks completely, yet it is recommended to not go for the looks only.
Most of the rice cookers come with versatility. There are a lot of units that act as a veg steamer. In this case, you can look for the add-ons that those units will offer. Although it completely relies on you that on which purpose you would be using the cooker.
Having durable material with a scratch preventing material is important. Usually, a Japanese rice cooker is made of aluminum and stainless steel, and however, there have some plastic made rice cooker that has come with an aluminum inner.
Also, stainless steel is the most preferred material for rice cookers because it can be long-last over the decades. You can pick up an aluminum or vinyl stove because these are affordable. But vinyl stoves are less durable than stainless steel.
Size refers to the number of cups you can cook in your Japanese rice cooker. This capacity would be 6 cups to 16 cups in general. But in some cases, it can be 28 cups. If your requirement is a small capacity, then you can go with a compacted Japanese rice cooker.
Ease to Clean:
Easy cleaning is a most considering factor before buying a rice cooker. Without proper cleaning, your rice cooker would be damaged permanently. For this, choose easy cleaning like a rice cooker. Luckily, Japanese rice cookers are easier to clean.
A rice cooker is not only for cooking rice, and some excellent rice cookers allow cooking versatile food like fast rice, hot cereals, beans, pasta dishes, soups, and whole grains. So, you can take this type of versatile cooker.
The Japanese rice cooker comes with improved technology. So, you can control this device as your wish and need. It has multiple buttons for cook control and a transparent LED display to observe the cooking time and process.
Moreover, some Japanese rice cooker is designed with an automatic WIFI controlling system. So, check the Japanese model which you want to buy.
Basic use of a Japanese rice cooker
Cooking rice with a Japanese cooker doesn’t indicate filling the cooking pot with rice and water, and it requires some steps to complete to get the fluffiest, lightest, and tastiest rice. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to cook rice with a rice cooker.
Wash the rice first properly before cooking it. Put the amount of rice in a bowl you want and fill it with water. Use your hands to vigorously rub each grain of rice to wash out the dirt and starch from the rice. Rinse the rice, discard the dirty water, and repeat the process three times. Each washing session should be of 30 seconds at least.
Soak the rice for 25-30 minutes to soften it. After soaking the rice, drain the water completely.
Now, put the rice with water in the cooking pot of the rice cooker. Generally, the water level should be half an inch above the rice level. Lower the lid and press the ‘start’ button to cook the rice.
After the rice has been cooked, the cooker will sound. Wait for 5 to 10 minutes more to let the rice steam. Finally, you can have your fluffy and yummy rice.
Benefits of Japanese rice cooker
First things first, a Japanese rice cooker saves your time and energy when you eat rice three times a day, and the advanced technology makes it possible by automatically cooking rice for you.
Japanese rice cookers are beneficial for those who can’t make rice just right. If you often make wet, burnt, or mushy rice, you should bring a Japanese rice cooker to solve this problem.
The smart modes of a Japanese electric rice cooker grant your wish of how you want your rice to be. You can have hard or soft rice, plain rice or rice mixed with ingredients by pressing the buttons. Also, the functions can make your rice with maximum sweetness and stickiness in the shortest time possible. And steam does not leak out easily from the cooker. With the custom cooking timer, you can cook rice instantly or later, and there is a timer you will see for cooking after a particular time.
Well organized rice cookers or pots don’t keep your rice warm for a long time, but Japanese rice cookers do. They can keep the rice heat to 12 hours maximum.
Japanese rice cookers are high-quality materials that increase heating efficiency and cook rice with taste and fragrance. The 3-layered metal inner cooking pan can heat rice up to 265℉ and steam at a temperature of 240℉. Consequently, each rice grain becomes well cooked and soft, which would be impossible with analog rice cookers. Moreover, rice does not taste weird due to the cooker’s good metal finishing.
The internal structure and design of this cooker are amazing. It comes with a vacuum insulated container, a stainless-steel double-layer structure, and an easily removable upper cover. As a result, you can conveniently clean the cooker.
Top-rated Japanese rice cooker brands
Japanese rice cooker brands are well known for manufacturing great quality rice cookers with durability. Apart from Japanese brands, some other well-known brands competitively offer tasty rice with outstanding features. Here are some top-rated brands, in brief, to help you out which brand to choose when you buy a rice cooker.
In a word, Zojirushi is the most reputable rice cooker brand, commonly seen in restaurants and appliance stores in Japan. Small to large rice cookers come with advanced features like MICOM fuzzy technology, Keep-warm, reheat, and induction heating. Zojirushi rice cookers are the most expensive products available in the market.
Compared to Zojirushi, Tiger offers a wide range of rice cookers with various options and price ranges. They were the introducer of Induction Heating (IH) technology in the rice cookers. Along with IH technology, Tiger rice cookers use fuzzy logic rice cooking technology.
Another famous Japanese rice cooker brand manufactures quality home appliances. Panasonic rice cookers are excellently compact and budget-friendly. They are induction-based and come with fuzzy logic and pre-set menus.
Midea rice cookers are incredibly useful for people who demand perfect rice every time on their hectic day. This Chinese brand features pressurized IE heating, keep-warm function, multi-function cooking pre-sets, and voice commands with an elegant design.
Though Aroma Housewares rice cookers are American and don’t feature MICOM fuzzy technology, they offer many variations. They produce mid-budget rice cookers with higher quality and simple operation, and their most expensive ones offer induction cooking technology.
Maintenance of Japanese rice cooker
Please read the user manual of the rice cooker thoroughly before using it. From the manual, you will learn how to use the cooker without making any mistakes.
- Place the cooker in the right position and right place. Choose a dry, shady, flat, hard, and stable surface without any flammable or dangerous components nearby. Also, make sure the cooker won’t stumble or slide over while cooking.
- Please don’t fill the cooker with rice or ingredients and water beyond its capacity to avoid overflowing. The user manual has the recommended capacity of rice and water mentioned, so follow them. A good rule of thumb is the water should be slightly over the rice, submerging it up to the first digit of your index finger.
- When your cooker is under operation, refrain from touching it. Touching the hot surfaces barehand will cause burns, so better wear kitchen gloves if you have to touch the cooker. Again, keep your face and hands away at a safe distance when opening the lid after cooking. The hot steam coming out of the cooked rice may burn your face.
- Always use a wooden or plastic ladle to pick up the cooked rice from the pot. A metal spoon or ladle will collide and scratch the internal non-stick coating.
- After cooking rice, make sure to disconnect the rice cooker properly to prevent any fire outbreaks. Please do the same thing when the cooker remains idle and before you clean it. Also, check the power cord if it is broken and plugged in properly to the socket.
- Never run the rice cooker when it is empty, also with a cracked upper cover. Plugging in an empty rice cooker will result in serious fire and electrical accidents. And the cracked cover will cause the steam pressure to burst while cooking, leading to fatal injuries.
Cleaning cation for Japanese rice cooker
- Cool it down for at least 30 minutes. Remove the leftover grain or burnt rice from the cooking pot by prying them out gently with a spoon or fork. If the leftovers are ignored, they will solidify and will be harder to remove.
- Clean the heating plate thoroughly to prevent food debris from interfering with the cooking process.
- Don’t immerse the entire rice cooker into the water; just pull out the cooking pot to clean. Immersing the cooker into water will cause malfunctioning. Use soft scourge pads instead of abrasive ones to protect the inner coatings of the pot. And use only a damp cloth to rub and clean the exterior of the rice cooker.
- While cleaning the inner cooking pot, use warm and soapy water; a dishwasher is also allowed. However, the dishwasher can discolor the anodized aluminum-based exterior of the pot. A good solution could be the 50-50 mixture of white vinegar and water.
- Clean, rinse, and air dries the pot well after each use and before placing it again in the cooker. Regular cleaning will prevent the unexposed moisture stored inside from developing mold or mildew.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the prices of rice cookers?
A: you will be able to get a well-built rice cooker for less than 15 bucks. If you wish to add some little bucks on your wallet, you can get some more features within 40 dollars. There are many great rice cookers available in about 150 dollars. Thus you should go for the one that matches your budget.
Q: What are the good brands of rice cookers?
A: Zojirushi is one of the most popular brands of the Japanese rice cooker. Besides the brand, there are other great manufacturers like Tiger Corporation, Aroma Housewares etc.
Q: Is a Japanese cooker good for sticky rice?
Yes, a Japanese cooker is well compatible to make sticky rice. Sticky rice refers to one special kind of Japanese rice known as mochigome, and Mochigome refers to glutinous rice or sweet rice, and the Japanese use this rice for a regular meal.
Q: Is a Japanese cooker can make porridge?
Yes, a Japanese cooker is suitable to make porridge. Apart from that, you can use a Japanese cooker for cooking versatile rice and streaming food.
So there you have it. This concludes which Japanese rice cooker is perfect for you. We tried to be honest in reviewing them and we are ‘kind of’ satisfied with the results.
Make sure that you look at every pros and con because, to be honest, the difference is very minimum between the top rice cookers and that was visible in my reviews too.
We wish you all the best on this journey.
Check out my other review article on omelet pan in the market right now.
Hey There, I’m Monica, Mom of two. This is my personal blog site. Here I write about Kitchen Tips Tricks, Recipes, and Review the products I use.
I hope you enjoy the article. Give me feedback on how I’m doing with my blog. I would appreciate it so much.
Have a great day! 🙂
[Follow me on Twitter]