Making a pizza in your home is one of the best ways to spend a pleasant time with your friends and family. This is probably one of the most rewarding experiences in comparison to ordering pizza from a pizza joint.
You should know how you can craft your pizza with your favorite toppings.If you’ve struggled to remove a freshly baked pizza from the oven with something like a small spatula, you’ll certainly appreciate the ease and convenience provided by these paddles.
It is essential to have you the best pizza peel to make a pizza in your home. Make sure that you do not end up with an average one! Don’t worry. We have come with the best pizza peel reviews to help you out in the crowd
WHAT IS A PIZZA PEEL AND HOW TO USE IT?
- 1 WHAT IS A PIZZA PEEL AND HOW TO USE IT?
- 2 WHY DO YOU NEED A PIZZA PEEL?
- 3 Our Top 3 Pick
- 4 Top 7 Best Pizza Peel Reviews
- 5 1. Pizza Royale (Best wooden pizza peel)
- 6 2. 16-inch Aluminum Peel with Wood Handle (Best aluminum pizza peel)
- 7 3. The Ultimate Aluminum Peel (Best pizza paddle)
- 8 4. Aluminum Metal with Foldable Wood Handle (Best metal pizza peel)
- 9 5. Heritage Acacia Wood (Best wood for pizza peel)
- 10 6. Premium Bamboo Extra Large Wooden (Best pizza peel for home use)
- 11 7. Stainless Steel with Folding Handle
- 12 Buying Guide of Best Pizza Peel
- 13 Which material is better – Wood, Metal or Composite?
- 14 What is the Best way to prevent Pizza Peel stick?
- 15 FAQs
- 16 Conclusion
Pizza peels are kitchen tools that have a shovel like a shape, which is extremely important for sliding the pizza inside and outside of your oven.
If you know how to make a pizza, you will also be aware that you have to constantly keep turning the pizza so that it can be baked completely.
So, you have to take your pizza out of the oven at various time intervals when the pizza is being cooked, and then you have to put it inside the oven again. And it is something that becomes impossible to do without a peel.
The first step to make a delicious homemade pizza with your peel is preheating your pizza stone. Set your temperature to about 500°F and allow it to preheat, with the pizza stone inside, for at least 20 minutes
Then, you have to spread a little quantity of flour on the surface and then assemble the pizza.
A Tip: If you choose to use cornmeal, apply it with a light hand so that it can
Use a quick back and forth motion to transfer the pie from the peel to the oven to loosen it up and prevent it from sticking.
Use the handle when you want to take it out of the oven for turning it from one side to another.
After you’ve removed your piping hot creation from the oven, don’t let it sit on the peel for any longer than necessary. The heat can cause it to stick.
WHY DO YOU NEED A PIZZA PEEL?
A Pizza peel is a reasonably shaped piece of equipment that ensures the success of pizza cooking. It features a long handle and a flat and non-stick platter where you place your pizza for topping and sliding on the pizza stone in the oven. The design won’t let the pizza toppings spill over and mess your pizza shape. While cooking, you may need to turn the pizza with your peel. Once your pizza is ready, the paddle also helps you to remove it from the oven.
D0 you need a pizza peel? Below here, we highlight the importance of this tool. Read on.
Topping your pizza
To top up your pizza, you need a flat and non-stick surface. A pizza peel is large-sized, sleeker, and features a flat surface where you can place your pizza for topping with sauce, cheese, and more. With such a design, the toppings will not spill over and mess your pizza shape.
Sliding off the pizza into the oven
After topping your pizza, the next step is to slide it off into the hot pizza stone inside the oven. A peel comes in handy since it retains the shape of the pizza even after topping.
To turn and remove pizza from the oven
When your pizza is cooking, you may need to turn it using a pizza peel. Also, once your pizza is ready, the next step is to remove it from the oven. Again, you’ll need a peel for this purpose.
A pizza peel is a necessity, whether metallic or wooden. However, a high-quality tool, easy to use, and maintain will give you better service and elevate your pizza cooking skills.
Our Top 3 Pick
Top 7 Best Pizza Peel Reviews
Before purchasing a pizza peel, you should consider the reviews that the item has. Without studying a detailed review, you should not opt to buy any product.
Given below are our top 7 best pizza peel reviews that you should know about.
1. Pizza Royale (Best wooden pizza peel)
- Rolling pin included
- Natural bamboo construction
- Contoured handle with a notch for hanging
- Tapered edges
- Hand wash only
- 180-day money-back guarantee
When you toss on your pizza with this Natural Bamboo Pizza peel, you will see this one will work like a charm.
This pizza royale peel is sturdy, wonderful, and lightweight. If you take care of this properly, it will not warp, splinter, or split. You can cut your pizza or vegetables or cheese in slices on this top-rated pizza peel without feeling sorry.
Its tapered edges are for easy sliding. Its comfortable and sturdy handle permits you to pull the pizza out of the oven every time you want without burning yourself. The handle hole of your wooden pizza paddle allows you to dry your tool and hang up once you are done cooking.
This user-friendly wood peel is easy to clean too. Your Pizza Royale is sold in two size variants, and you get a rolling pin with this brand.
- The handle allows a secure grip.
- Easy-to-clean and low-maintenance
- Versatile and has an aesthetic appearance
- Perfect for home use
- Eco-friendly and non-toxic.
- Nice design, Lightweight, and contoured edges for a comfortable user experience.
- Since this product is made from bamboo, it will burn if you leave your pizza on it to cook
- Handle is not very long
Summary: From beginner to pro, everyone will fond of this best type of pizza peel for its top-notch performance and appearance. Pizza royale pizza peel can take the heat without breaking and will not make a mess. This product is durable, and it will not become too heavy even when you have topped it with the pizza.
2. 16-inch Aluminum Peel with Wood Handle (Best aluminum pizza peel)
Looking for an aluminum pizza peel? Well, it is perhaps the best product that you can consider if you require a peel that has an aluminum head and a wooden handle.
This product has rounded corners and a width of 14 inches, which allows you to pick the large pizzas in an effective manner.
The length of this product is 16 inches, and the wooden handle is 8 inches long.
It is perfect for transferring the pizzas, pastries, and the delicate loaves of bread into the ovens without deforming the delicate structure that they have.
This peel allows you to keep your hand out of the oven and prevents you from burning your hands.
- A reinforced handle, which helps in providing stability.
- The long handle helps in keeping you away from the excess heat when you are removing the pizza.
- Perfect for baking pieces that are 14 inches.
- Easy to clean and make it tidy.
- Can be pulled out easily from the oven without burning your hand.
It can be a little big if you are opting to purchase it for your home. Also, there are no rings on the handle of this pizza peel, which makes it difficult to hang.
3. The Ultimate Aluminum Peel (Best pizza paddle)
This best pizza peel allows you to cook experienced dishes despite being a novice. You can slide the pizza inside and out of your oven without getting any burns on your hand.
Besides, you do not have to bother worrying about the pizza sticking on this. It is not like the pure wood, which have to be cleaned in a regular manner.
The best part is that you do not have to add excess flour as you do in the traditional wood or the metal.
This device has a unique design, which ensures a safe and improved cooking every time you decide to cook a pizza for your family.
- The back lip helps in preventing slippage of your pizza or anything else that has been placed on it.
- It has a hardwood handle of 10 inches which allows you to maintain a proper distance from the heat.
- You do not need to maintain this product in a special manner.
- It hardly requires any maintenance.
- No chance of burning your hand.
- You can cook your pizza without any hassle.
This product has been designed in a perfect manner, but there are a few dimples on the surface which have to be coated with flour so that your pizza does not get spoilt in any manner.
Check out our review article on the best crepe maker!
4. Aluminum Metal with Foldable Wood Handle (Best metal pizza peel)
If you want your pizza peel to be useful as well as classy and elegant, this is the perfect one that you can opt for.
It has an aluminum head along with a wooden handle, which allows you to control your pizza both inside and outside the oven easily. It is perhaps the best companion which helps you to make pizzas, pastries, and bread.
You can transfer your delicate pieces of bread, cakes, pizzas and much more. The foldable design of this pizza peel allows you to store it easily in any part of your house.
- The width of the product is 12 inches, and it is 14 inches long along with an 11-inch handle, which can be folded.
- It is made up of the natural pinewood and aluminum of commercial grade.
- The pizza pattern made of metal makes the cooking process extremely easy for you.
- It does not burn your hand when you are trying to lift the pizza or cake sheets from your oven.
- It can be maintained easily.
- The foldable design allows storing the product without any hassle.
- It is not very heavy.
If you want to bake a large sized pizza, you might not be able to as the width of the product is only 12 inches.
Therefore, you can bake pizzas that are 12 inches or less in size. Moreover, it is not safe for your dishwasher, and you have to wash it without making use of the harsh detergents.
5. Heritage Acacia Wood (Best wood for pizza peel)
This classic pizza peel will help in contributing to the aesthetics of the kitchen decoration. It will impress anyone and everyone looking at the product hanging from the walls of your kitchen.
This one is made out made out of the Acacia wood, and it has a polished appearance. Acacia is considered to be the best wood for a pizza peel. You can handle it easily as it is smooth and extremely durable.
However, you have to ensure that you are taking care of this product in a proper manner. The product has a thickness, which is resistant to various issues like warping.
It is not very thick and can easily lift your pizza in the oven. The handle stays cool throughout the entire baking process.
- Its paddle is quite large, and it can fit the pizzas in an easy manner.
- It has a hole with the help of which you can hang it on your kitchen wall.
- Since it is made up of acacia wood, it has an elegant and smooth appearance.
- The thickness is perfect.
- Has a tapered edge which helps you to lift the pizza easily.
- The perfect handle helps serve dinner confidently.
- The size of 22 inches and 14 inches is perfect for the home pizzas.
- High-quality wood to last for a lifetime.
The product has been carved out of wood, and hence it requires proper maintenance so that it can last for a really long time. Ensure that you dry your product after you have used it.
6. Premium Bamboo Extra Large Wooden (Best pizza peel for home use)
This product not only serves as a pizza peel but it can also be used for a number of other purposes. It allows you to take your pizzas out of your oven in no time.
Moreover, it can be used as a chopping block or a cutting board for your fruits, vegetables, and pizza. It is also a great decoration, which you can display in your bar or kitchen.
The unit is safe and does not cause any kind of toxicity. It has also received certifications from the LFGB, FDA, BSCI, and the FSC. This wooden piece is extremely durable and hardly requires any maintenance.
- You can use it for a number of purposes – from serving your pizza to using it as a chopping board – for your fruits or vegetables.
- It does not cause any toxicity, and it has been certified by the FDA as well.
- You will not experience any kind of frustration as you do when you use a cutting board or a plastic spatula.
- The multipurpose functionality.
- Eco-friendly and non-toxic.
- The perfect size for baking pizza.
- It is durable and sturdy.
It is not extremely thin for scooping up your pizzas perfectly. You should also clean it after use or bacteria may start breeding.
7. Stainless Steel with Folding Handle
You don’t need to worry about burning your pizza or dropping your pies anymore. You can pull them out of your oven without any difficulties with this stainless pizza peel now.
The paddle is thin, and it can easily slip under your pies as well as pizzas. This product is good not only for the indoor pizza oven but also the outdoor oven and the barbecues.
It proves extremely durable, and you can be assured that it will last for quite an extended time if you take good care of it.
The best part is that it is safe for your dishwashers, and you do not have to work hard when you are cleaning it.
- The paddle is made up of stainless steel, and it is thin, which allows it to slip under your pizza easily.
- It can be used for a number of purposes like taking out the pies or the pizzas easily from your oven.
- The handle does not become splintery and scratchy like the wooden handles.
- Folding handle makes it easy for you to store the product.
- Comfortable and easy grip with integrated rubber handle.
Though the product is nearly perfect, the one disadvantage that you can face is that it is very heavy. After weighing all the options that are mentioned here, you should purchase the product that you think is perfect for you and will appropriately suit your needs.
Afraid to buy a Japanese rice cooker? Click here to check our Article!
Buying Guide of Best Pizza Peel
There are a variety of shapes, sizes, and types of peels. It is vital to consider the following things before you purchase.
There are mainly two types of carrying surface: solid and perforated.
The solid one is the most common pizza peel flat surface without any holes, dents or grooves.
On the other hand, the perforated ones are filled with lots of small holes. The advantage of a perforated peel is that the holes will help you get rid of excess flour from the dough. This surface also helps to remove the excess moisture.
The handle length is significant, and it should be considered depending on the depth of the oven. It is responsible for keeping your hands safe when you are turning your pizza from one side to another.
The handle should be long enough that the front edge of the paddle can easily reach the back of the oven and still give you some distance from the oven door. For easier storage, you can also consider a model that has a folding handle.
Again, it is wise to go for a heat resistant handle like wood.
Pizza peels usually have a rounded shape as it corresponds to the form of the pizza. For large professional ovens, the round peel is usually the best choice because it enables you to place multiple pizzas inside at different angles easily. For home use, a square peel or rectangular will do the trick because you usually only place a single pizza inside your oven from the front.
Size of the Blade:
The size of the blade is responsible for determining the size of your pizza. You can opt for rectangular or round blades depending on the types of pizza that you want.
Which material is better – Wood, Metal or Composite?
Whether it is the best pizza peel wood or metal or composite, it cannot be easy deciding on the type to use. Let’s find out which one is right for you.
Wooden Pizza Peels
Wood is a favourite, and most chefs prefer using it when making pizza. Wood is a natural product and is porous. Due to this, it absorbs moisture and hence prevents the pizza dough from sticking. Therefore, your pizza stays in good shape.Again, you can also serve them as a cutting board when your pizza is done without worrying about it damaging your cutter or knife.
However, we recommend you not to cut pizzas on the wooden ones to protect the surface.
Also, wood is rustic or classic and will accentuate your kitchen decor besides being durable. However, wood requires proper care and maintenance to prevent rotting and decay. When you’re cleaning, you should avoid using too much water, especially hot water. You should therefore avoid the dishwasher!
You can keep it in good shape by rubbing with vinegar and storing it in a cool and well-aerated place.
Generally, wooden ones are relatively thick, which can make manoeuvring them more difficult.
Metal Pizza Peels
This type is usually made out of aluminium or stainless steel. If you want longevity, stainless steel is the way to go.
Stainless steel is easy to clean and doesn’t rust. It is light and easy to use.It’s also thin and allows for easy sliding of pizza to the oven. However, you’ll need to rub with some flour so that the dough doesn’t stick.
On the other hand, aluminium is also a popular metal since it’s also durable and easy to maintain. Unlike wood, it doesn’t require a high level of maintenance. The only downside is that the pizza dough might stick and hence requires rubbing with flour.To overcome this shortcoming, you can get a perforated peel. Dough sticks much less to these peels. The holes allow airflow under the dough.
Evidently, your choice for either wooden, metal or composite pizza peel will depend solely on your preference.
Composite Pizza Peels
Last but not least, the composite peels are much easier to clean and maintain than wooden peels. These are thinner than wood but not as thin as metal, so it can sometimes be difficult to slide a pizza off it. Again, they tend to have shorter handles, which may not allow you to slide the pizza to the back of a hot oven. These are also low-maintenance. However, they tend to be thicker than metal, so they can be slightly more challenging to manoeuvre.
What is the Best way to prevent Pizza Peel stick?
Follow the tips to avoid any fuss –
- Dust the peel with a 50/50 mix of semolina and flour, where the semolina helps the pizza slide.
- Stretch the dough on the countertop or mat and then move to the peel for the toppings.
- Don’t overload the pizza with toppings as the excess adds weight
- Once your dough hits the peel, move fast – spend least time as possible because your dough absorbs the flour and starts to stick to the metal peel.
- Make sure your dough and other tools are at room temperature for less condensation and moisture.
Can you cut pizza on a pizza peel?
Avoid cutting pizza on the peel as this will cut grooves into the wood and make the surface rougher and harder to slide the pizza off.
How thick should a pizza peel be?
Generally, a thin pizza peel is better. You can easily manoeuvre your pizza. But you don’t want the peel to be too thin because the tool can get flimsy. It would be best if you look for something in the 1-3 mm (3/64-1/8 inch) range.
Should a wooden pizza peel be oiled?
Before using the wooden peel for the first time, rub food-grade mineral oil on it. The oil will seal the wood and prevent it from drying out and cracking.
What size pizza peel do I need to make a pizza for my family?
If you want to make large pizzas to feed the entire family, you want a peel that’s at least 15 inches wide. And if you’re going for small individual pizzas, you can have a peel that’s around 12 inches in width.
Did you choose your best pizza peel? Always consider the factors to get the perfect one.
There is no point in getting one randomly, which will burn your hand when you are pulling your pizza out of the oven.
Therefore, make the best possible pizza for your home and share with us your experience.
Check out our another review article on best paper towel holder!